I remember being young and just imagining and fantasizing about my future or just pretending the silliest things.
One thing my little sister and I would do is flip through the JC Penny catalog (I know...). Anything that we touched we would "get." The way "in style" Arizona brand clothes, sweet! Sure those things didn't magically appear in our bed rooms as soon as we touched them, but we always hoped they would!
When we watched a movie, we would always want to be the prettiest character in the movie. If it were Sleeping Beauty, I would hurry and call out, "I'm her! I get to marry the prince!" and Sami would get stuck being one of the fairies.
While growing up I had a day bed that had 4 gold knobs on all four corner posts. It always reminded me of the movie "Bed knobs and Broomsticks" We would ride the bed through the ocean like them. We would always pretend that the bed could fly and if you were on the carpet you were going to die.
Now that I am older, my pretending and dreams are a little more realistic, but its still far fetched from where I am in my life. When pretend about one day owning a new home and having a pool, a hot tub and a huge lawn for the kids. I want to be able to go on Vacations and cruises and spend money like they do on TV. I imagine Orrin and me being a boating family and spending countless hours on the lake. I imagine that I have my perfect little business and I am good at what I do.
I want to want these things with out reality setting in on how much its going to cost! I dont want to worry about how much upkeep thats going to have to happen on that wonderful yard. Or that I can't vacation ALL the time because I have to work and my kids will have school. Those are they joys about being an adult though right?
When we're young, we want to grow up so fast and then when we are, we have to worry about stupid health insurance and if we have enough money to pay the rent. We have to go to jobs everyday and can't just call in sick because we are "responsible." To get to have that perfect business I have to go to school, and pay off my student loans.
So for now, I am going to forget about "life" and just pretend.
6/19/2008
just pretend
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
i love this post. it's so sweet! I totally did all those same things as you did when you were little and it's a pain in the butt that now that we're grown up we don't have the free time to live out our dreams like we thought as kids. One day though!
It is so true! My lil sis and I used to pretend the same things. And now I pretend all about my beautiful home and family vacations. Pretending is so great and a must have in the real world.
Post a Comment