7/23/2008

my personal hell

Any idea what these little buggers are? Kidney stones ( I hope mine don't look like that)!! If you knew me a year and a half ago you know I had them before and it was the worst pain in my life, until today.
About 2 weeks ago I had a little pain in my side that was just enough to wake me up every hour or so. I didn't think much of it. Today I woke up and got in the shower to get ready for work. As soon as I got out that's when they hit and I knew exactly what it was! This time it was on the other side and 3x as hurty! I managed to get some clothes on and go up stairs to my mom. She is the best. She gets out of bed and gets me a heating pad. Today was a long, hot and very painful day. I threw up countless times due to the amount of pain I was in (Yes, I have a low pain tolerance, so imagine how bad it hurt to make me do that). My mom's friend gave us some natural herbs and things to help them break down and pass quicker. You have to take like 10 pills 4 times a day with real lemon juice. Not so tasty and I think that had something to do with the vomiting. I tried to hold out going to the doctor because we don't have insurance and I knew what it was and the only thing they could do was give me a prescription (which I still have from last year) and tell me to drink plenty of water and wait it out.
The pain was so bad I didn't know how to handle it so I had my mom take me in. Let me try to explain so you can get a mental picture of what I looked like at the time. My hair had been wet from the shower and I had rolled all over the floor or the bed in pain so it was this curly, wild mess! I had NO makeup on. No bra on. My pants were sliding down on my butt because I was too weak to tie them up. I was just adorable.
We get into the doctors (everyone who works there is from Bloomington and I know them all, absolutely wonderful) and I head straight to the corner for the trash can to ... you know. All the people in the waiting room were seeing my nasty, white crack I am sure. They quickly take me back to a room and I continue in the trash can. I am sweating and my whole right side is stiff from the pain. The doctor comes in and I am in agony and crying without the tears.
The nurse came in and gave me a good little shot in my left bum cheek to rid me of the pain. Ouch! About 20 minutes later the pain finally subsides a bit and my eyes get really heavy. I try to beg the doctor for just one more shot before we leave and he agrees to send one home with me to use later.
Once we get home my mom tries to keep me hydrated and give me more pills. They come right back up the way they went in moments before. Later I finally hold a loratab (sp?) down long enough for it to do its job. I fall asleep for a bit and after eight hours of agony the pain is finally gone.. I just hope it stays gone. I feel fine now but still look just as lovely as I did this morning.
I hate kidney stones. Everyone kept telling me that the pain from the stones is comparable to childbirth.
I no longer want a baby.


P.S. Thanks mom for being at my beckon call today. For dropping what you were doing whenever you heard my cries of pain. I never would have made it through the day without you.
Thanks Love for lying to me and telling me we had enough funds for me to go to the doctor. I missed you so much today and just wanted you to hold me. Only two more 2 days!

5 comments:

The Weston's said...

oh Karlee, I am so sorry- I haven't had those, but does 3 labors count (one completely natural) I'll tell you what SAVED me- that Loritab. A little piece of Heaven- get some refills on those hon!

Katie Dotson said...

Karlee... I haven't ever had kidney stones but I have had my cute Cooper and I got an amazing long needle in my back and I felt pretty great after that! And my sis has had terrible kidney stones for about 10 years now and she says that they are worse then child birth. So don't be worried about the pain in child birth unless you are planning on doing it without drugs. (I highly recommend them)

Adam said...

Poor baby! I've never had them, but they sound absolutely horrible. I do not envy you! I hope you feel better soon.

Nate and Jacque Holt said...

oh goodness girl. don't envy you right now. good luck with that and hope everything gets better quick. congrats on getting a place finally.

Karamea said...

do they really look like that?!?! i hope you're doing lots better now! and good luck in slc love. now i'll have another face to visit while i'm there! and hopefully i'll be there permanently in the fall. but we'll see!