8/03/2008

Welcome to Poplar Grove

So we just got back from our first sacrament meeting in our new ward (we left early to help Orrins sister Laurel move from a nasty apartment situation).

We walk in to see the smallest ward we have ever attended.  The people are either really elderly or young couples.  We saw less than 10 children and not a single adolescent.  There were three old ladies on the back row that couldn't have welcomed us to the ward more quickly. When we looked up front we saw the Bishopric with their heads all together looking right at us. It was the most interesting testimony meeting of my life.
So, half of the women who bore their testimonies were "dizzy."  They were either pregnant, too old, I think it's in the water.  The highlight of the hour was the man who should have been on the show "G's to Gents" got up the the mic.  
 He had a shaved head,  his black sunglasses propped right on top.  Tattoo coming down the forearm and I swear he had a wife beater under this shirt.  He had two adorable little boys with him who had the bottom halfs of their heads shaved and the tops were spiked up or formed into a mohawk.  Adorable! 
So Mr. G gets up with his kids to bear their testimonies and his oldest says "I love Jesus" and that was all he cared to say.
Mr. G begins and he was so thrilled to be there.  He said that the world wasn't living up to it's promises so he decided to turn to Jesus and see if he would back up his promises.  He's said "I'm on like the last chapter of the Book of Mormon man!  I'm at the part in Mormon, or Moroni... and all the Nephites are like Wiped OUT!"  It was so intense and so great, man.    To top off the whole testimony he ends with a "God Bless!" then has to come back and finish the proper way with "In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."  It was great.   I love to see people at church who you wouldn't expect to find there.  Everyone accepted him with open arms and loved the freshness of his testimony. 
All in all it was a great ward.  I think there will never be a dull moment.  Its a tight nit group of all different types of people.  

3 comments:

Katie Dotson said...

Those testimonies are always my faves! Sounds like you are enjoying the Salt Lake Valley. We are going to be coming up in a couple weeks to go to Lagoon so we will have to get together or something.

The Weston's said...

that is HIl.AR.RI.OUS- don't fast and testimony meetings entertain and awe? he he *

Anonymous said...

the woman at the drive through of Mcdonalds asked me if I was from utah and then said "god bless you child" haha people of kansas, love them.

sammi