So yesterday as I was driving I was reminiscing on old times. I was thinking about when Orrin and I were dating we took a trip out to New York to play and visit my brother Josh. One of my favorite things to do when I go to New York is to shop at China Town. There are these little shops crammed together running up and down Canal Street. Each shop carries the same things. Kate Spade bags, Tiffany & Co Jewelry, Sunglasses, Perfume and so on. The trick is to go to one shop and see what price they will give you on a certain item then go to the next shop and see if they will beat the other mans price!
Like this particular trip Orrin decided he needed a black belt. He went to one shop and they said "fifteen dollar." Orrin took their price and went next door and after 5 minutes got that chinaman to go down to $12. By this time the Chinaman was pretty agitated. They settle on $12 and Orrin pulls out his wallet. "Do you have change for $100?" he asked. ORRIN! (he was new to this sort of thing) Chinaman was furious. Shook his head the whole time he got Orrin his change. Orrin counted the change before we left and Chinaman gave him about $10 less then what he owed. Can you blame him. Selfish white boy. haha. We were told never to come back to that shop.
Josh was on a quest to buy a Rolex for a friend back in Oklahoma. As you walk along the streets there are lots of black men mumbling things under their breaths such as, "Rolex." It is illegal to sale stolen goods as well as counter fits. So we stop at one big black man. Blackman hands us each a Rolex and steps 5 feet or so away incase a cop were to wander our way. He shows Josh a really neat feature by turning the watch on its side and pounding it against you wrist. You can feel the vibration from the pendulum inside spinning around. That right there supposably means that its real. Josh smiled and shook his head like he was impressed, although he had no idea what had just happened. So we are looking at these watches, when a cop heads our way. Blackman tells us to put them in our pockets and he bolts. As he passes us he says "We will meet up later." UMMMMM?! We are standing there wondering whats going on and a little Chinaman leans out of his shop and says "Get outta here or he'll slit your throats!" We leave. We walk up one side of the street and down the other and no sign of Blackman. So we figure "Free Rolexes'!" and head for the subway. The whole time I am thinking that Blackman is following us or sent one of his buddies after us. Terrifying. Not until we got all the way up to Times Square, inside a pizza place did we feel safe enough to bring out the Rolexes'.
Even then we were a little scared.
1 comment:
Funny stories! I'm glad you decided to become a blogger. Unfortunately I'm not going to be in St. George for Christmas- it's my year at Adam's. :( Have fun though! I love caroling!
Post a Comment